Re: [O] Installation via el-get: info not added correctly

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] Installation via el-get: info not added correctly
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

The file (1) command is available on some systems and makes guesses
about file formats to help users sort out unknown files.  Maybe a for
loop in a script could find the info files and do so more reliably than
only checking a file's suffix.  I think there's also a rather expensive
book available for sale called "the file formats book" and from those
I've talked to after they've had a chance to read it they think it's
worth the money.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Mike McLean wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Mike McLean wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Markus Baden writes:
> > > I just installed org-mode via the recipe provided with the current
> > > development version of el-get [1]. Org-Mode is installed correctly
> > > into emacs.d/el-get/org-mode and the docs can be found in the doc
> > > subfolder. The recipe [2] adds the doc to the info via the :info "doc"
> > > property. However, when going to the info browser with C-h i the
> > > org-mode docs cannot be found. In the doc subfolder there is a file
> > > called "org" (no filename extension), which looks like the info file.
> > > After doing a "cp org org.info" the org-mode info shows up in the info
> > > browser.
> >
> > El-get for whatever reason seems to think that all info files have a
> > ".info" suffix, but they appear to never check if that assumption is
> > true.  I don't understand how they set up the info tree further on from
> > looking at the sources.  File a bug report for el-get I'd say.
> >
> > Looking at this a bit this morning, I'm not sure that it is el-get (at
> > least alone) that is insisting on the .info suffix. The portion of elisp in
> > el-get that adds the .info suffix:
> >
> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> > (if (string= (substring infofile -5) ".info")
> >     infofile
> >     (concat infofile ".info"))
> > #+end_src
> >
> > (Side note, I did try a work around,
> > https://github.com/SkydiveMike/el-get/commit/88920c84bbe4d814bae1e79cdda163315d8d8d24
> >  that doesn't work).
> >
> > Is only called if the ~dir~' file does not exist (and other conditions) and
> > as part of creating a command string for ~/usr/bin/install-info~. Since an
> > non-built (no execution of ~make~) Org mode Git clone has a ~dir~ file,
> > this code is never called.
> >
> > I also don't believe that ~cp org org.info~ in
> > ~$HOME/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/~ fixes things (I currently can't get the
> > correct info to display using that).
>
> After some more investigation, I don't think this is a bug with either Org or
> el-get. I had other issues with my Info path setups in my specific
> configuration (Emacs on OS X from http://emacsformacosx.com) that included an
> invalid build-directory artifact and more significantly always put the Emacs
> ``info'' directory as the first item in my ``Info-directory-list''. This
> meant that the built-in Org info would always supersede the info for my
> current version of Org (installed by el-get).
>
> Once I resolved all of that, my Emacs Info now sees the correct version of
> Org info from el-get without needing to ``cp org org.info''.
>
> More gory details at: https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/issues/821
>
> Sorry for the noise.

Hardware eventually fails; software eventually works, no amount of band
width can fix poor design

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>