Re: [O] Using org-mode as day planner

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode as day planner
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:46:33 -0500

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> Jack Erwin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So, a couple of questions:
>>
>> 1) Is this a sane approach?  My elisp is average at best, and the
>> org-mode devs could probably think of a more graceful way to do this.
>
> I don't know.
>
> If I were you, I would give Org a little more time before trying to
> make it behave as planner behaves.
>
> Also, you might be interested in org-datetree.el, which helps storing
> things relatively to a date, which sounds a bit more `à la planner'.

Out of curiosity, do date trees currently have any built in search
functions or sparse tree searching ability? I currently use timestamps
to capture things under the current month like this:

* Journals
** 2012 August
*** [2012-08-09 Fri] Did something
- Notes
- About
- What I did

This is nice as I need to print my notes for an intellectual property
documentation notebook. I have a recurring deadline todo to remind me
to print my orgmode notes and permanently tape them in my IP notebook.
With timestamps (and the new sparse tree time functionality you
added!) I can just search for all time stamps after my last completion
date, mark any relevant with :export: and am on my way. When done, I
can just replace-string :export: -> "" and the file is back to normal.

Date trees would make this easier as I like using capture... but I
don't like having to change my .emacs each month to make the
adjustment of =** July 2012= as the target headline to =August 2012=.
Date trees are the obvious way to be able to do this, but they don't
have any of the neat search functionality that I know of.

Thanks,
John