Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 00:29:20 -0400

James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:

> Okay, I've just about gotten that WebDAV service set up for mobileorg
> sync. I can both GET and PUT files using cadaver. But org-mode isn't
> talking to it properly.

But from what you show below, you are not using cadaver (or anything
webdav-related for that matter) to do the copying. You are using
scp: *that*'s what you've got to get working.

> According to [1] ("[user]" is a substitute for the real http user name):
>
> org-mobile-directory: /scpc:address@hidden:80/webdav/

This looks wrong - if you try it with scp from the command line, can
you copy a file to that destination?

> Then org-mobile-push gets further:

> Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using scpc...
> Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -l [user]  -o
> ControlPath=/tmp/address@hidden:%p -o ControlMaster=yes -e none localhost'
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> Tramp: Sending password
> Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -l [user]  -o
> ControlPath=/tmp/address@hidden:%p -o ControlMaster=yes -e none localhost'
> Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `localhost'
> Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using scpc...done
>
> ... but chokes on something surprising:
>
> org-mobile-check-setup: Variable `org-mobile-directory' must point to an
> existing directory
>
> Huh? [1] clearly says:
>
>   (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:address@hidden:org/webdav/")
>
> ... but:
>
>   (unless (and org-mobile-directory
>              (stringp org-mobile-directory)
>              (string-match "\\S-" org-mobile-directory)
>              (file-exists-p org-mobile-directory)
>              (file-directory-p org-mobile-directory))
>     (error
>      "Variable `org-mobile-directory' must point to an existing directory"))
>
> I suppose I can hack it by putting the physical location of the webdav share
> into org-mobile-directory. But, the documentation seems incompatible with the
> current behavior.

Where does org-mobile-directory point to if not the "physical location
of the webdav share"? The tramp stuff doesn't know or care about webdav
at all: it is just the mechanism that copies files from your local
machine to some other machine, so it needs to know exactly where to copy
it to.

Nick