Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:12:57 +0800

On Aug 12, 2012 12:29 PM, "Nick Dokos" <address@hidden> wrote:
> But from what you show below, you are not using cadaver (or anything
> webdav-related for that matter) to do the copying. You are using
> scp: *that*'s what you've got to get working.

When configuring a new service, it's useful to conduct a minimal test to ensure that nothing is wrong with the service. That was the point of using cadaver.

For my immediate needs, I think I can do without scp, since org-mode and Apache are on the same machine. The broader point is about the documentation. It says "do it this way" but "this way" doesn't work.

> > org-mobile-directory: /scpc:address@hidden:80/webdav/
> >

> This looks wrong - if you try it with scp from the command line, can
> you copy a file to that destination?

1. How do I use scp from the command line?

2. This destination is modeled on the docs, so if it's wrong, then so is the doc.

> Where does org-mobile-directory point to if not the "physical location
> of the webdav share"? The tramp stuff doesn't know or care about webdav
> at all: it is just the mechanism that copies files from your local
> machine to some other machine, so it needs to know exactly where to copy
> it to.

Well, it almost looks to me like org-mobile-directory is asked to do two things at once: specify the scp syntax *and* hold a path that can be resolved on the local file system. This is the source of my confusion.

At best, the docs are unclear.

No matter for me. I'll just set org-mobile-directory to the physical, local path that is remotely accessible by webdav. But the doc was rather misleading, suggesting that some editorial attention would be warranted.

hjh