Re: [O] [GSoC] Org Merge Driver Update

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [GSoC] Org Merge Driver Update
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:04:31 -0600

Andrew Young <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been working on a merge driver for org-mode documents over the
> summer as a Google Summer of Code project. I just wanted to show
> everyone some progress on the merge driver.
>
> There are some new examples you can see at the project page [1][2], and
> instructions on how to build and use it.
>
> the source is available here: git clone git://orgmode.org/org-merge-driver.git
>
> I'd really appreciate if anyone could take the merge driver out for a
> test spin, and come back with any kind of feedback, such as:
>
> - file output
> - customization
> - the user interface
> - the merging rules
> - new features and element specific support
> - testing
> - neat ideas, etc.
>
> There is only about a week left in GSoC, but I'm planning to continue to
> develop the merge driver past the end of GSoC.
>
> Please take a look, and thanks,
>
> Andrew Young
>
> [1] project page:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/git-merge-tool/
> [2] examples:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/git-merge-tool/examples.html

I'm very excited to start using this merge driver.  I've put together an
Arch Linux User Repository (aur) package, which can be used by Arch
Linux users to install the org-merge-driver with pacman.  It is
available at [1], if others find it useful and if Andrew doesn't object
I'd be happy to push it into the official aur database.  It is very
simple and installs directly from git.

I spent some time testing this locally and I've run into what appears to
be an error.  Namely when merging a tree with multiple new sub-headings
the merge completes successfully, but the subheadings from the OTHER
branch are deleted by the merge.  Here [2] is a tarball of the entire
git directory after the failed merge.  Please let me know if there is
any other debug information I can provide.

Thanks,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/org-merge-driver-20120815-1.src.tar.gz

[2]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/fruit-test.tar.bz2