Re: [O] [GSoC] Org Merge Driver Update

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [GSoC] Org Merge Driver Update
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:34:57 -0600

Andrew Young <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm very excited to start using this merge driver.  I've put together an
>> Arch Linux User Repository (aur) package, which can be used by Arch
>> Linux users to install the org-merge-driver with pacman.  It is
>> available at [1],
>
> Thank you so much for doing this! I'm also an Arch Linux user, and am
> now using your package as well!
>
>> if others find it useful and if Andrew doesn't object
>> I'd be happy to push it into the official aur database.  It is very
>> simple and installs directly from git.
>>

> Yes, of course I don't mind.  This would be _awesome_.
>
> I just installed OMD through your package. Pretty exciting for
> me! It took me a little bit to realize the linked file was not
> corrupted ;), but HTML to the new package.
>
> Regarding the gnulib dependency:
>
> I have included the Gnulib sources which my project depends on
> directly into the git repository. Because of this, gnulib shouldn't be
> nessecary to build. I've done this for two main reasons:
>
> 1. I thought that would make the dependencies easier on everyone else
>    to build and install.
>
> 2. I believe I've uncovered a bug in one of the sources I'm using, and
>    so for the time being I'm using a slightly edited version.
>
> I'm really not sure what the standard is for using GnuLib in a
> project. I think that distributing Gnulib dependencies directly with a
> project may be typical, given that it is used at the source level. (If
> anyone has any opinion on this, please share)

I don't know about this personally, but from the gnulib site [1], this
sounds like the intended method of use.

> For the time being, it may be best to leave Gnulib out as dependency,
> until I find out what to do. Re-importing Gnulib modules may
> reintroduce the problem I was having.

I'll remove 'gnulib' from the dependencies and remove the libtool
portion of the build sequence.

>> I spent some time testing this locally and I've run into what appears to
>> be an error.  Namely when merging a tree with multiple new sub-headings
>> the merge completes successfully, but the subheadings from the OTHER
>> branch are deleted by the merge.  Here [2] is a tarball of the entire
>> git directory after the failed merge.  Please let me know if there is
>> any other debug information I can provide.
>>

> Thank you for letting me know, and your detailed example.  This should
> be fixed now, along with some other issues.

Yes, I can confirm that this now works for me.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/org-merge-driver-20120815-1.src.tar.gz
>>
>> [2]  http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/fruit-test.tar.bz2
>>
>> --
>> Eric Schulte
>> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte
>
> Thanks again for doing all this, it's really appreciated!

My pleasure, I've now submitted this package to the AUR database [2].

Cheers,

> Sincerely,
> Andrew Young

Footnotes: