[O] Kudos to Auréliens and Andrew who finished t he GSoC successfully!

From: Bastien
Subject: [O] Kudos to Auréliens and Andrew who finished t he GSoC successfully!
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:11:14 +0200

I'm happy to announce Aurélien and Andrew both passed the final
evaluation for their GSoC.  Join me in congratulating them :)

See their code in action:

Aurélien's Org-sync:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbj6-j0teCY

Andrew's Org Merge driver (put your own favorite music):
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbaaFmoEfGw

If you want to test the code:

  ~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-sync.git
  ~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-merge-driver.git

I'm really glad they went so far in these projects, despite
the fact that I could not support them as much as I wanted.

Here are some notes they shared with me about their project,
don't hesitate to pick up some news and ask questions.

Enjoy!

Org-sync -- Use online bugtrackers from Emacs with Org-mode

Org-sync uses a new parser for Org documents and provides a generic
interface to add new backends.

Tutorial, code, screencast (demo) and documentation available at
[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/org-sync/]

Org-sync
--------

What works:
- cache system to prevent fetching everything everytime
- conflict resolution
- synchronization

What doesn't:
- no bugzilla, google code, google task and toodledoo backends
- no conversion from online service markup to org syntax.

Github
------
What works:
- add new bugs
- change status, description, title, etc
- change/create/remove tags

What doesn't:
- milestones ignored

Bitbucket
---------
What works:
- delete/add new bugs
- change status, description, title, type, etc

What doesn't:
- components, versions, milestones ignored

Redmine
-------
What works:
- delete/add new bugs
- change title and description

What doesn't:
- almost every other field is ignored
- not tested very well

Remember the milk
-----------------
What works:
- import existing tasks

What doesn't:
- synchronization not implemented

1: [http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/org-sync/]

Org-Merge Driver -- Merge Org Mode documents

The project webpage is available at:
[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/git-merge-tool/index.html]
There is small (soundless) demonstration here:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbaaFmoEfGw]

What Works
----------

- Parsing Org files into data structures
- A system for matching and merging arbitrary lists of data
- Element movement detection
- A system for supporting new types of element
- A testing framework, and a number of tests

Headings
~~~~~~~~

- recognize and merge priority and stat cookies
- recognize and merge TODO states
- recognize and merge TAGS
- support movement detection of UID'ed headings

Text
~~~~

- Merge text blocks using a line-by-line merge strategy

Properties
~~~~~~~~~~

- Recognize properties in a property drawer
- Properly deal with value updates

What doesn't work

- Does not support more encodings than UTF-8
- Some movement updates will give unexpected results

Possible Future Features

- Able to specify different merge software for different types of blocks
- Footnotes support
- Date Tree support

--
 Bastien