Re: [O] Multicolumn

From: Christopher J. White
Subject: Re: [O] Multicolumn
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:28:50 -0700

Hi Erich,

I have a hack for multicolumn support that may help... It's not great, but serves my purpose.

I implemented a TWiki mode that uses orgtbl-minor-mode. TWiki pages support multicolumn cells by adding vertical bars with no separators:

Display:

|  Multicol     |
|  C1   |   C2  |

TWiki format:
| Multicol ||
| C1 | C2 |

Notice the double vertical bars after Multicol. The number of vertical bars on every row must be the same. You can join as many cells as you want that way. I basically wanted to be able to still use orgtbl-minor-mode to edit such tables. So I hacked my twiki-import/export code to convert "||" to "| << |" and vice-versa.

So the orgtbl version of the above looks like this in the buffer:

| Multicol | << |
| C1       | C2 |

The down side is that the text "Multicol" will expand the display size of C1, so if it gets long, the table grows:

| This is a long multicol cell | << |
| C1                           | C2 |

So it gets me what I want, which is orgtbl editing, and import/export support to twiki format. Seems a similar technique could be backed in to any org export engine.

...cj