Re: [O] [OT] Encoding error when calling a ruby script from Emacs using

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Encoding error when calling a ruby script from Emacs using shell-command
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:51:28 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> I've tried posting on help-gnu-emacs mailing list first, but not luck so far,
> so I thought I'd try here, as I know there are many savvy emacs users around.
>
> I have a small Ruby CLI program that I want to call from emacs. This script
> simply opens an emacs orgmode file from a specific location in my hard drive,
> and does some text processing. When I call it from the terminal directly, it
> works fine. When I call it from emacs, the
> script fails with an encoding error.
>
> I'm using this elisp to call it from emacs after a buffer is saved:
>
>     (defun test ()
>       (let ((universal-coding-system-argument 'utf-8-unix))
>             (shell-command  "/Users/myself/.rvm/bin/rvm ruby-1.9.3-p194 do
> /usr/bin/myrubyscript")
>         ))
>     (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'test)
>
> NOTE: The (let ((universal-coding-system-argument 'utf-8-unix)) was an
> attempt to fix it, but it made no difference whatsoever.

Probably wrong, but who knows? it may work by some miracle:

(let ((coding-system-for-read 'utf-8-unix)
      (coding-system-for-write 'utf-8-unix))
  (shell-command "/Users/myself/.rvm/bin/rvm ruby-1.9.3-p194 do
/usr/bin/myrubyscript")

> After I save a buffer, the shell-command function is fired, but I get the
> following output in the "*Shell Command Output*" buffer:
>
>     F, [2012-08-30T01:59:18.688827 #94004] FATAL -- : invalid byte sequence
> in US-ASCII (ArgumentError)
>
> /Users/myself/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/org-ruby-0.6.3/lib/org-ruby/parser.rb:89:in
>  `split'
>
> /Users/myself/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/org-ruby-0.6.3/lib/org-ruby/parser.rb:89:in
>  `initia

But this looks like ruby is expecting ASCII and is getting something else
(probably UTF-8).
What does the output of the command, when executed from a terminal, look like?
Redirect it into
a file and then use od to look at bytes.

Also, you can try adding an output buffer as argument to the shell-command and
then eyeballing the
output in that buffer to see if it matches the terminal output.

Nick