Re: [O] superscripts, tables and latex

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] superscripts, tables and latex
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:23:28 -0400

Peter Rayner <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to export a simple table to latex with the only catch being
> it has some units I need to superscript.
> Here is the org code
> ..
> It has the text of the table with the pipe characters removed then the
> table itself.
> Here is the latex it generates
>
> In the untabulated text the ^{-2} is being replaced with math
> delimiters while in the tabulated version the braces are being quoted.
>
> This doesn't seem to happen when I export to html where both versions
> get superscripted. This could be a bug but it's more likely something
> I'm misunderstanding, can someone enlighten me?
> please reply directly as well as to the list, I'm behind on my mailing
> list browsing.

The standard latex exporter does indeed mishandle this, but unless it is
a very easy fix, it's unlikely to be fixed: the exporter is on its way
out.

If you can, please use Nicolas Goaziou's new exporter: it handles the
situation correctly.

Assuming you are running a recent version of org, you can install it
alongside the old one. Just add the following to your init file (with
the path modified appropriately):

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/contrib/lisp"))
(require 'org-export)
(require 'org-e-ascii) ; if you want
(require 'org-e-html)  ; if you want
(require 'org-e-latex)

In my case, I bind the new exporter dispatch to a key sequence, but that
is strictly optional. In addition, when the switchover is complete and
the old exporter is thrown overboard, C-c C-e will be the official
binding. In the meantime, something like this

(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c E") 'org-export-dispatch)

will allow you to invoke it with C-c E (which is officially undefined
currently). But you can always skip the define-key stuff and invoke it
the long way:

M-x org-export-dispatch RET

Nick