Re: [O] suggestion for FAQ: clarifying how to upgrade org

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: [O] suggestion for FAQ: clarifying how to upgrade org
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:36:26 +0000 (UTC)

Hi rpjd,

"Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

>   that seems to work fine.  if that's an acceptable way to upgrade
> org, that should probably be mentioned in the FAQ -- that you might
> just be able to do a standard, distro-specific install of whatever
> represents the org-mode package and emacs will pick it up
> automatically.
>
>   just an observation.

That faq is exported from an org file on worg.
Sure, distro specific packages are a viable way to upgrade your org:

Would you like to add it?

If you don't know git, this is the relevant section:

** My Emacs ships with an older version Org-mode! How do I upgrade?
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CUSTOM_ID: updating-org
   :END:

#+index: Upgrade

Org-mode develops quickly, which means that versions of Org-mode
shipped with Emacs are more or less out-of-date. If you'd like to
upgrade to the most recent version of org-mode, you have a number of
options.

 1. Download the [[http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-3][most recent release]]
of org-mode as zip or tarball and
    follow the
[[http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation][installation
instructions]] in the manual.
 2. Clone and install the development git repository as
[[#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development][explained
    here]]. If you don't want to run the bleeding edge, you can still
    use git [[#using-stable-releases-only][to track the most recent stable
releases]].
 3. Install and updated org-mode automatically through the Emacs
    Package Manager as [[#installing-via-elpa][explained in this FAQ]].

/Note/: Please also see [[#mixed-install][Is my Orgmode installation mixed?]]
for a common
issue with mixed installations.

Just insert your words and certainly someone will push it :).

otoh, http://orgmode.org/org-mode-download.html (where you are sent to
to to download org) already mentions "Alternate distributions".

,----[ org-faq.org - Is my Orgmode installation mixed? ]
|                                            An easy first step to
|   investigate this is to look at the output of =M-x org-version=.
|   - Good :: ~Org-mode version 7.8.11 (release_7.8.11-448-g1737d3 @
|             /path/to/org-mode/lisp/)~
|   - Bad :: ~Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)~
`----

org-version got improved to show the release bit in several steps,
starting with

| commit e7d2e4e18694cb8c4bec5a81815bf7ef9c8078a6
| Author: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>
| Date:   Mon May 7 21:21:28 2012 +0200

So, the suggestion in org-faq will only work with org versions later
than May 19.

org-7.8.11, which ships with emacs24, was released ... a couple of days
later. But these changes obviously didn't make it into the bundled
version. Lets be vague then :), what about:

"An easy first step to investigate this /with a recent version/ is to look
 at the output of =M-x org-version=."