Re: [O] Store org-files in a git repository?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Store org-files in a git repository?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:11:44 +0200

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa writes:
> It'd be nice to see how Google Docs does its versioning and try to
> model something like that for org. I think it's a version per data
> saved. I currently use a cron, but I see some value in versioning
> after each save.

That doesn't solve the problem.  A commit is named commit for a reason:
one assumption is that the change it effects is complete and (in the
case of software) it compiles and runs.  There is good reason not to
infer anything like that from the simple fact that I've saved the file.
In fact, stashes in Git are just recognition that sometimes you simply
don't want to make that "commitment", but need to store something away
that is not quite complete.

If you want to see "saving is versioning" in action, try (open)VMS.  Or
customize Emacs so that it does versioned backup files.  It is
occasionally useful to do that, but just like with RCS, versioning of
single files only gets you so far before things break.

Regards,
Achim.