Re: [O] Status of org-sync?

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: [O] Status of org-sync?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:45:36 +0200

Hi all,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What's the current status of org-sync? Is it already a contrib? I'd like to
> extend it to support Acunote.

I'm no longer in vacation so contributions are going to be a lot
slower than they were in the summer. I didn't touch it since the GSoC
ended, I was enjoying my last free days. But don't worry, I will
continue working on org-sync in my freetime :) My current priority is
to improve the redmine backend which is very basic.

As Bastien said, it's not ready to be in contrib.

I've already received few off-list emails about org-sync and I'm glad
people find it useful. Someone has contacted me to inform me he
started working on Trello and Podio backends and wanted some advices.
Here's what I sent him:

You have to write a function to download tasks and a function to
"upload" them (create new ones/modify existing ones/delete). This can
be done in 2 steps so you can write the download function and test it
without the upload one to start. The rest is boiler plate code.
Merging, parsing (of the buffer), etc is handled by org-sync.

You have to convert the things you download to the internal "bug"
representation. Likewise, in the send function, you are given task in
the internal format and you have to convert them to whatever form you
need before sending (json, xml, ...). Look at the tutorial or an
existing backend.

Org-sync is still young. If you think something should be done in
org-sync instead of in the backend (or the other way around) it can be
done, we just have to talk about it :)

Keep me informed, don't hesitate to ask me questions and good luck!