Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-metaup / org-metadown nerfed in 7.9.1
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:43:56 +0200

Hi Trevor,

Trevor Vartanoff <address@hidden> writes:

> I updated to 7.9.1 from 7.8.11 and was quite surprised to receive nasty
> "Cannot drag element backward" messages when I tried to use org-metaup and
> org-metadown to move text around.

It is hard to understand the problem without an example.

When did you get the message and why was it not appropriate?

> Why was this done?

The origin of the org-meta{up/down} feature was to be able to move table
lines one by one.

By a small generalization, org-meta{up/down} also moved lines up/down
outside of tables.

The idea behind the current behavior is to think in terms of elements,
not in terms of lines -- which is good IMHO.  (A line is an element of a
table, so moving line by line here is the right thing to do.)

> How do I get back to one stroke functionality? I'm
> afraid I'm not properly understanding the release notes or mailing list
> archives.

Please explain the problem a bit more.  Thanks!

--
 Bastien