Re: [O] Problem with org-entities-user

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with org-entities-user
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:00:47 +0200

Hi,

> My point is not about removing anything related to LaTeX syntax. I'm
> fine with a \cite{...} (although I think [[cite:...]] may be cleaner) as
> long as it really is accepted by most major export back-ends.
>
> But I think accepting raw commands like \vspace, \hfill and al. is not
> necessary (as long as there's still a way to send them to the export
> back-end). We shouldn't trick users into thinking these commands will be
> obeyed in any situation.

The contrast between \cite{...} and \hfill is interesting: the former
has an intuitive meaning in non-LaTeX backends too, so I agree
[[cite:...]] would be better here, but \hfill is a pure LaTeXism
(as are inline $...$ formulas for example.)

If we had a general syntax like [[cite:...]], then allowing the
\cite{...} latexism would be convenient but redundant, and we could
safely advise against using it.

But pure latexisms like \hfill have no intuitive equivalent in other
backends, and there is no ambiguity on what the user expects when he
uses this -- so accepting them is convenient.  Forcing #+LATEX: before
these constructs would slow down editing the buffer.

So here is the Occam's razor I suggest: let's generalize as much as
possible, and let's handle as much latexisms as possible.

--
 Bastien