Re: [O] Org-mode version N/A-fixup

From: Markus Heller
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode version N/A-fixup
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:59:05 -0700

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Markus,
>
> Markus Heller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> please forgive if this is an RTFM question, but how would I go about
>> updating the org git archive from within emacs?  This is what you are
>> referring to, correct?
>
> If I may try to help -- Achim suggests that the directory where you have
> your git executable is not known by Emacs.
>
> Can you try this?
>
> M-x getenv RET PATH RET
>   => [returns the directories in your PATH environment variable]

C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
 Files (x86)\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\pub;C:\Program Files
(x86)\sparky\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox;C:\Program Files
(x86)\OpenBabel-2.3.1;C:\texmf\miktex\bin\x64

> M-! whereis git RET
>   => [returns the path for your git executable]

'whereis' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

> If the two are not in sync, then Emacs will not find your git
> executable and you'll not be able to update a git repo from Emacs.

So whereis is not recognized, maybe because I'm not using cygwin ...
But anyhow, git *is* in my PATH, and I think my issue really is that I
don't know how to update a git repo *from within emacs*.

Would you be able to provide some hints please?

Thanks
Markus