Re: [O] Problem with org-entities-user

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with org-entities-user
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 08:18:31 -1000

> On 23.9.2012, at 10:30, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes, even though this is not very clean by itself.
>>
>> This is debatable. Entities are perfectly integrated into Org and are,
>> by essence, multiple-back-end friendly.
>
> I only mean in the sense that entities are made to insert symbols and
> characters, not to execute commands. It certainly can be used to that,
> but this is not the intention of this mechanism.

Yes, this is the essence of the mismatch.  The mechanism is designed to
work with entities, but the regular expression catches all LaTeX
commands, whose names don't distinguish entities from other constructs
AFAIK.

>>> Maybe not. I can go along with your arguments for cleanness. Would you
>>> object to keeping this feature in as an option, turned off be default,
>>> so that it is at least easy to keep lengthy files working?
>>
>> I'd rather leave it as it is, then. This option would require to
>> maintain two versions of the parser: one without LaTeX commands and
>> another one with them. That would defeat the whole point of removing
>> them.
>>
>>> The way I understand it, the new exporter will be default in 8.0, so
>>> this is the time to make some incompatible changes.
>>
>> Indeed. I will preserve my quota of backward-incompatible changes for
>> other things.
>

> OK.

Two versions of the parser!  Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

Links still provide a path to handle arbitrary LaTeX commands and have
them send sensible output to the different backends.  They don't look so
great in the Org buffer, but that is an aesthetic issue, not functional.

Thanks, Nicolas, for the new LaTeX exporter.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye