Re: [O] orgmode + evernote, anyone using it? Use cases?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode + evernote, anyone using it? Use cases?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:17:57 -0400

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> >     Alan> Do you have a reliable system to link to emails? I've been
> >     Alan> working on this and I'm not too satisfied yet.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by reliable. I use offlineimap to sync my mail
> > to a local dovecot which I access by tunneling gnus to it. This means
> > I can access emails anywhere, like on a plane.
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear. I have the same setup. My question is: how do you
> get a link from org to gnus that still works even if messages are moved
> around. I tried nnregistry but it stopped working after I upgraded to
> Emacs 24.2, so I'd be happy for other solutions.

I use a different setup so it won't answer your question directly, but
maybe it will shed some light: I use mh-e and links to email use the
message ID (Robert Horn describes a similar setup with notmuch in
another email in this thread). Links look like this:

[[mhe:address@hidden from Alan Schmitt: Re: {O} orgmode + evernote, an]]

where the message ID is address@hidden

The message ID is preserved even if I move messages to other
folders. So as long as your search engine searches by message ID, you
should be all set, except that you might have to resync the database of
your search engine, if it uses one.

In fact, I use mairix to index my mail[fn:1], so after moving things
around, I have to run mairix to reindex. In my case, that takes about
2.5GB of memory and about 40 seconds. This was a killer with my previous
laptop which had 1GB of memory: it would swap like crazy and end up
taking 15mins or so for the reindex, clearly unworkable: I ended
cleaning up email and kicking off mairix once a day, just before going
to bed. Now I have 4GB of memory and I'm a happy camper: I can reindex
whenever I like.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  I have too much mail so I can't use the default mh-e search
        pick/grep method - it would take forever, even limited to a
        single folder; mairix, btw, does not care about folders: it
        searches everything.