Re: [O] external process modifying buffers

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] external process modifying buffers
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:27:50 +0200

Hi Moritz,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Moritz Ulrich <address@hidden> wrote:
> Please note that `global-auto-revert-mode' reverts ALL Emacs buffers
> when the underlaying file changes. This isn't just active for the
> iCal.org buffer, but for all open buffers.
>
> If you like this behavior, ok, but if you prefer it for the iCal.org
> buffer only, enable auto-revert-mode (without global-) via a file-local
> variable in it:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Variables.html

You are right, global revert-mode causes other issues.

Can you suggest how to have it as a local file variable when the
command that generates the file over-writes it? I have modified the
code that produces the iCal.org file so the top line now is:

# -*- coding: utf-8; auto-revert-mode: t; -*-

But emacs does not seem to be obeying the command. I've restarted
emacs, but when I modify that file with an external command, I still
get the "changed on disk" warning. If I ESC-x auto-revert-mode it
toggles to off, implying it was on. If I do that again, toggling to
on, it then works correctly.

Thanks,

   -k.