Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date in

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date input [7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-436-g9b11e6 @ /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:44:23 +0200

Hi Nicolas, org-mode users and developers,
* Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> [13. Oct. 2012]:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Back to square one: Does anybody know How to customise
>> Emacs/org-mode so that dotted European dates are parsed correctly
>> at the date/time prompt?
>
> Again, dotted European dates are parsed correctly without customization.
> Would you provide a time string that isn't?

"Naked" dotted european dates without surrounding text are
parsed correctly by org-read-date.

But with date/time prompt I mean the prompt which asks me for a
date/time when invoking org-time-stamp.  Here I'm allowed to
insert Dates like "the event takes place at 27.10. at 14:00 in
the pub".  Org-mode is supposed to parse these, see
[[info:org#The%20date/time%20prompt][info:org#The date/time prompt]].

If I now yank "Kommt am 27.10.2012 um 14:00 zum" in this
date/time prompt, the result is "<2010-10-27 Mi 14:00>" instead
of "<2012-10-27 Sa 14:00>".          ^       ^^
        ^       ^^

I had a look at org-time-stamp which is invoked by "C-c ."  I do
not understand how this function parses dates/times from text.
Therefore I looked for functions with appropriate names which are
called by org-time-stamp.  The only one I could find is
org-read-date.  It obviously parses dates from a string and
identifies parts (day, month, year).  I thought org-read-date
does the heavy lifting with respect to date parsing.  But now I
think you are right and org-read-dates parses "naked dates".  But
where does the parsing of texts which contain dates take place?

Ciao, Gregor
--