Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date in

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-read-date: problem with year in dotted european date input [7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-436-g9b11e6 @ /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 01:31:33 -0400

Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas, org-mode users and developers,
> * Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> [13. Oct. 2012]:
> > Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> Back to square one: Does anybody know How to customise
> >> Emacs/org-mode so that dotted European dates are parsed correctly
> >> at the date/time prompt?
> >
> > Again, dotted European dates are parsed correctly without customization.
> > Would you provide a time string that isn't?
>
> "Naked" dotted european dates without surrounding text are
> parsed correctly by org-read-date.
>
> But with date/time prompt I mean the prompt which asks me for a
> date/time when invoking org-time-stamp.  Here I'm allowed to
> insert Dates like "the event takes place at 27.10. at 14:00 in
> the pub".  Org-mode is supposed to parse these, see
> [[info:org#The%20date/time%20prompt][info:org#The date/time prompt]].
>
> If I now yank "Kommt am 27.10.2012 um 14:00 zum" in this
> date/time prompt, the result is "<2010-10-27 Mi 14:00>" instead
> of "<2012-10-27 Sa 14:00>".          ^       ^^
>         ^       ^^

org-read-date calls org-read-date-analyze which does not recognize
this as any kind of time string format it knows about (all the regexps
it tries fail to match), so it calls parse-time-string. Lo and behold,

(parse-time-string "Kommt am 27.10.2012 um 14:00 zum")

returns

(0 0 14 27 nil 2010 nil nil nil)

> I had a look at org-time-stamp which is invoked by "C-c ."  I do
> not understand how this function parses dates/times from text.
> Therefore I looked for functions with appropriate names which are
> called by org-time-stamp.  The only one I could find is
> org-read-date.  It obviously parses dates from a string and
> identifies parts (day, month, year).  I thought org-read-date
> does the heavy lifting with respect to date parsing.  But now I
> think you are right and org-read-dates parses "naked dates".  But
> where does the parsing of texts which contain dates take place?

org-read-date does fine with "Kommt am 2012-10-27 um 14:00 zum",
because parse-time-string can figure out the iso date, even
though it cannot figure out the dotted european one:

(parse-time-string "Kommt am 2012-10-27 um 14:00 zum")

returns

(0 0 14 27 10 2012 nil nil nil)

Nick