Re: [O] Speeding up the agenda search

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Speeding up the agenda search
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:12:49 +0200

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> My list of files in the agenda got to a considerable size. It still
> searchable, but some types of search, such as PROPERTY, usually lock
> down emacs and I'm forced to kill the process. Is there any way to
> speed it up? Perhaps by compiling the elisp files to bytecode?

Speed of the agenda generation is a often a problem.

It's a delicate one because subjective and objective problems
are often closely entangled in this area (speed of your machine,
perceived acceptable speed for generating the agenda, complexity
of the query, size of your agenda files, etc.)

The only way we can make progress here is by rolling our sleeves
and performing tiny optimizations, one after another.

As a first step, you can try to make a diagnosis the problem by
instrumenting the agenda functions:

  M-x elp-instrument-package RET org-agenda RET

Then doing your agenda query then reporting results

  M-x elp-results RET

We'll get a rough idea of the time spent and be able to compare
it with the one on other machines.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien