Re: [O] Web site bug

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Web site bug
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:12:18 +0100

Bastien writes:
> You mean "in case users install Org from a tar/zip archive that does
> not contain org-loaddefs.el"?
>
> For now the tar/zip archives does not contain org-loaddefs.el but it
> will starting from Org 7.9.3.
>
> (require 'org-loaddefs) is wrong in case users who cloned Org from Git
> forget to "make" or "make autoloads".  It is just as wrong as (require
> 'org-install) was previously.  No?

No, (require 'org-loaddefs) is wrong, plain and simple.  Except of
course when you want to just get the autoloads for an Org from Git
installation, since then _all_ autoloads for Org are in this file.

> You mean Org from Git is missing the org-loaddefs.el that is produced
> by "make" or "make autoloads"?

No, it has _all_ autoloads in the same file, all other installations
split the autoloads between two files (and automatically load the first
and you never need to take care about the second).

> Yes, I don't think this is a problem.

But it is a problem.

> I don't really understand what this is supposed to fix... ?

It splits the autoload definitions into two files like all other
installations.  Almost everybody can then safely forget about
org-loaddefs (since it is taken care of in org itself) and only needs to
load org-install for Org from Git.

Regards,
Achim.