Re: [O] Suggestions for progress tracking

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Suggestions for progress tracking
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:56:09 +0000

On 11/11/12 03:48, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

I'm starting another novel translation, and want to keep track of
progress in org (I've blown too many deadlines in the past). I've been
looking at the habits functionality, but it doesn't quite match what I
want, and I'm looking for a little advice here. I'd like to:

1. Set myself a minimum of pages translated per day, on weekdays.
2. Record how many pages I do each day.
3. View some habit-style report of how I'm doing relative to my goal.
4. Project when I will be done with the novel at the current rate of
progress.

I am assuming that the novel is available in plain text. Why not turn it into an org file. Divide it up into units, with each unit being a day's worth of translation. Make each unit a separate TODO with either a SCHEDULED or DEADLINE. The you can use the Agenda to see how far in front, or behind, you are.

Ian.