Re: [O] org-link and gnus-registry

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] org-link and gnus-registry
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:11:40 +0100

"Sven Bretfeld" <address@hidden> writes:

> As was discussed before in this list, gnus-register is the way to do
> this. Otherwise org-link will not find the message after it has gone to
> another group.
>
> This is not working for me. It might have to do with how org-store-links
> creates the link. For me the links look like this:
>
> [[gnus:address@hidden from
> Yongbin: Re: Visit]]
>
> "Stuff" is the name of my INBOX. This means the message-ID contains the
> name of the original group. If the message is moved to another group, it
> won't be found. It seems that either org-store-link or org-follow-link
> does not respect gnus-registry.
>
> I cannot find the mistake. Can somebody help me?

I'm having very mixed results with gnus-registry, and I'm still looking
for a better solution. In the meantime:
- make sure the message is moved from inside gnus, it seems it's
required to be tracked by the registry;
- if you cannot get to the message, try to search for it (I use notmuch,
which works nicely), figure out the mailbox name, and you can then
manually fix the link by changing the mailbox name there. I use stable
mailboxes for this: archive is for the current month, otherwise the
message is in "old/year/month". Searches and links let me get to
messages really easily.

Alan