Re: [O] using local.mk to maintain a local git branch

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] using local.mk to maintain a local git branch
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:25:45 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
> In the Org FAQ, under the "How can I keep local changes..." section,
> there's a note saying that the config local:rebase options are no longer
> needed under the new make system, and something equivalent can be done
> using local.mk configurations.

That's true insofar as you don't need to keep a local branch just for adjusting
the Makefile to your environment anymore, which was what my original posting
(where the content in this note was copied from) originally was about.  If you
keep a local branch anyway for other changes to Org, then you could still
configure it for rebasing if you prefer it over merging.

> I'm not terribly conversant with Makefiles, but is the following
> correct? Given that I have a local branch called "local", and like "up1"
> as my standard make target, my understanding is that "make myup" will
> perform the up1 installation, then execute my rebase command.

> oldorg:       up1 # Update from git, build, check, but don't install
>
> up1 myup::
>       git rebase master local

This would work (I think, haven't tested it), but if your local branch has
origin/master directly as its upstream and optionally set it up to rebase rather
than merge, then you don't need to do anything like that in local.mk.

I.e. you'd have the following config for branch local:

---8<---
[branch "local"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
        rebase = true
--->8---

> If this is right, maybe we can add an extra line or two of explanation
> to the FAQ?

Could you be more specific what you think should be altered or added?

Regards,
Achim.