Re: [O] using local.mk to maintain a local git branch

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] using local.mk to maintain a local git branch
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:26:37 +0800

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>> In the Org FAQ, under the "How can I keep local changes..." section,
>> there's a note saying that the config local:rebase options are no longer
>> needed under the new make system, and something equivalent can be done
>> using local.mk configurations.
>
> That's true insofar as you don't need to keep a local branch just for
> adjusting
> the Makefile to your environment anymore, which was what my original posting
> (where the content in this note was copied from) originally was about.  If you
> keep a local branch anyway for other changes to Org, then you could still
> configure it for rebasing if you prefer it over merging.
>
>> I'm not terribly conversant with Makefiles, but is the following
>> correct? Given that I have a local branch called "local", and like "up1"
>> as my standard make target, my understanding is that "make myup" will
>> perform the up1 installation, then execute my rebase command.

>> oldorg:      up1 # Update from git, build, check, but don't install
>>
>> up1 myup::
>>      git rebase master local
>
> This would work (I think, haven't tested it), but if your local branch has
> origin/master directly as its upstream and optionally set it up to rebase
> rather
> than merge, then you don't need to do anything like that in local.mk.
>
> I.e. you'd have the following config for branch local:
>
> ---8<---
> [branch "local"]
>         remote = origin
>         merge = refs/heads/master
>         rebase = true
> --->8---
>
>> If this is right, maybe we can add an extra line or two of explanation
>> to the FAQ?
>
> Could you be more specific what you think should be altered or added?

Probably nothing -- the FAQ gave me the impression that it was somehow
preferable to use the make system rather than git config to keep a local
git branch rebased to master; I didn't realize the note in the FAQ was
addressing changes to the Makefile in particular. If there's no
practical difference between special targets in local.mk and setting
rebase = true in the git config, then all is as it should be. I'll
probably just use the git

Thanks for the clarification,