[O] texinfo export advice

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [O] texinfo export advice
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:22:24 -1000

Aloha all,

I'm trying to find a good Org representation for a common construct in
org.texi and need some help.

Here is the construct in org.texi:

@table @asis
@orgcmd{C-u C-u @key{TAB},org-set-startup-visibility}
Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.: whatever is
requested by startup options and @samp{VISIBILITY} properties in individual
entries.
@end table

It displays a key command and the Org function that it runs, then has a
description of the function.  In the info manual it looks like this:

`C-u C-u <TAB>'     (`org-set-startup-visibility')
     Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.:
     whatever is requested by startup options and `VISIBILITY'
     properties in individual entries.

I can export this with the texinfo exporter with a lot of wrapping:

@@info:@table @asis@@
@@info:@orgcmd{C-u C-u @key{TAB},org-set-startup-visibility}@@
Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.: whatever is
requested by startup options and @@info:@samp{VISIBILITY}@@ properties in
individual
entries.
@@info:@end table@@

This is fine, but the Org mode buffer doesn't look much like Org mode
after a few of these.

My idea is to use a description list, like so:

  - @@info:@orgcmd{C-u C-u @key{TAB},org-set-startup-visibility}@@ ::
       Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.:
       whatever is requested by startup options and
       @@info:@samp{VISIBILITY}@@ properties in individual entries.

This almost works.  However, it inserts an @index command that gets in
the way:

@table @samp
@item @orgcmd{C-u C-u @key{TAB},org-set-startup-visibility}
Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.:
whatever is requested by startup options and
@samp{VISIBILITY} properties in individual entries.

@end table

This is the view from info:

`

`C-u C-u <TAB>     (`org-set-startup-visibility')'
     '
     Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.:
     whatever is requested by startup options and `VISIBILITY'
     properties in individual entries.

Note the extra open and close quotes and newlines.

I'm thinking something like this might be a useful addition:

#+attr_texinfo :item nil
  - @@info:@orgcmd{C-u C-u @key{TAB},org-set-startup-visibility}@@ ::
       Switch back to the startup visibility of the buffer, i.e.:
       whatever is requested by startup options and
       @@info:@samp{VISIBILITY}@@ properties in individual entries.

Ideas?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813