Re: [O] Org Writer's room

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Org Writer's room
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:25:04 +0100

On 06/12/12 11:51, David Engster wrote:
> Rainer M. Krug writes:
>> On 06/12/12 09:36, Jambunathan K wrote:
>>> On the left is the navbar. - You can quickly navigate to any heading, a
>>> table or a
>>> captioned figure.
>>
>> Couldn't the navbar from emacs be used for that? I haven't used it in a long
>> time, but in
>> ecb (Emacs Code Browswer) it is used for this - see Screenshots on
>> http://ecb.sourceforge.net/ for how it looks there.
>
> Speedbar can use 'imenu' to get a list of tags, and org supports 'imenu', so
> it pretty much
> works right away, also without ECB. Just do
>
> (require 'speedbar) (speedbar-add-supported-extension ".org")
>
> and fire up speedbar with
>
> M-x speedbar You can now be able to click on org files and you should see the
> section headings.
> It should also be possible to generate a speedbar frame or

Very nice - and much easier.

> buffer which only shows the tags of the current file, like ECB does, but I
> would have to look
> that up if that's important.

I actually like, that it shows all buffers, which makes switching much easier.

And also, multi file setup can be handled much easier this way.

Now the next step would be to
a) automatically start the speedbar when an org file is opened and
b) shows the buffers.

Interestingly, speedbar shows ascii [+] when I put the above mentioned commands
in my emacs.org,
but icons, when I execute them manually after emacs has started?

Cheers,

Rainer

> -David

- --