Re: [O] babel perl issue

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] babel perl issue
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:44:07 +0100

Eric Schulte writes:
> Using this method of requiring languages,
>
>     ;; emacs-lisp
>     (org-babel-do-load-languages
>       'org-babel-load-languages
>       '((perl . t)))
>
> Works for me without issue when called from a fresh emacs (-Q).  This is
> the recommended way of adding support for a new language and should work
> for the OP.

Why should this be preferred over simple customization of
org-babel-load-languages?  I see no reason to have users add code to
.emacs just for selecting which Babel languages to use.

> The two fixes seem to be either to either (1) add (require 'ob-tangle)
> to all current and new language specific files, or (2) merge ob-tangle
> into ob.el, so that they are both loaded by (require 'ob).  It is
> unfortunate that because of the recursive require there is no way to
> separate a single require'd entity across multiple files.
>
> Option (2) seems most clean to me.  Unless anyone has a better idea I'll
> make this change.

Well, option (3) is to implement option (2) first, then put all
defcustoms (together with their initializers perhaps) into separate
files instead of dispersing them into many smaller ones and require them
from the top-level files (ob.el in your case, although I personally
think that all defcustoms should be visible from the start) so that any
autoloaded function invocation will see them defined with their correct
values.  The external interface is then taken care of by autoloading and
the number of requires is minimal.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: