Re: [O] Some Experiences with org-babel-load-file

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: [O] Some Experiences with org-babel-load-file
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:01:03 +0000 (UTC)

Florian Beck <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. `org-babel-load-file' doesn't seem to be in the org docu. The
> instructions on worg are obsolete (mentions `org-install') and
> needlessly complicated. Just putting
>
> (package-initialize) ;; only if you use the newest org

... and the newest emacs!

> (require 'ob-tangle)
> (org-babel-load-file "/path/to/your/org-init-file.org")
>
> into your .emacs (no need for .emacs.d/init.el) seems to suffice.

This is one way to do it, not necessarily the only way.
I don't think a 4 line init.el is that complicated ;).

> 4. When I babel-load "my-package.org", all emacs sees is the tangled
> "my-package.el", which of course is right. The problem, however, is
> that I often search for one of my functions, change it … and loose the
> changes the next time I start emacs (I already got zapped a couple of
> times). Integrating org-tangle with the emacs documentation would be
> tough I guess. But how about setting a read-only file locale variable
> to block the most stupid mistakes?

How do you change your functions?
If I want to do it, I tinker with them directly in my emacs.org and
evaluate from there or copy the relevant bits to the *scratch* buffer
and bring them back to emacs.org once it works. If the file changed,
the el file gets tangled fresh automatically next time I start emacs and
used right away.

I don't really see a problem?

Memnon