Re: [O] babel perl issue

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] babel perl issue
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:31:13 +0100

Eric Schulte writes:
> I'm attaching two patches which implement this new require structure.
> They move ob.el -> ob-core.el.  The new ob.el (which is now loaded by
> every file which requires 'ob) does two things.

That looks OK so far, just one nit: it would be much cleaner from the
perspective of Git if you first renamed ob.el -> ob-core.el and then
patched it.  That way git blame would continue to work across that
commit in a mostly sensible manner.  Right now all lines in those two
files are new things that sprang into existence with this commit as far
as Git is concerned.

> 1. It defines every Babel defcustom (excluding the language-specific
>    defcustoms).  Should defvars be moved here as well?

Not necessarily, but if it cleans up the code, this would be worth
doing.  Maybe as a second step, since none of it should be broken right
now?

> 2. It loads the remainder of Babel, namely; ob-eval, ob-core, ob-comint,
>    ob-exp, ob-keys, ob-table, ob-lob, ob-ref and ob-tangle.

Which codepaths would directly activate ob-comint for instance and why
is it appropriate to just (require 'ob-core) in this case?

> This allows for most of the language files to be simplified as they now
> only need to require ob, rather than requiring the subset of the above
> particular to their needs.

Looks nicer to me, anyway.

Regards,
Achim.