Re: [O] C-c ^ for plain lists? Why not?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] C-c ^ for plain lists? Why not?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 03:27:00 +0000 (UTC)

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Playing with this idea I noticed that the sorting function
> did not accept their additional arguments like sorting-key
> and get key-function in they way they should.  So I patched
> them, to make the following work in the current master:
>
> (defun org-sort-list-by-checkbox-type ()
>   "Sort list items according to Checkbox state."
>   (interactive)
>   (org-sort-list
>    nil ?f
>    (lambda ()
>      (if (looking-at org-list-full-item-re)
>        (cdr (assoc (match-string 3)
>                    '(("[X]" . 1) ("[-]" . 2) ("[ ]" . 3) (nil . 4))))
>        4))))

I finally had a chance to play with this -- works nicely, except I managed to
get emacs into an infinite loop this way:

1. C-c ^ f org-sort-list-by-checkbox-type
2. This puts the done items at the top, which I didn't want, so... C-c ^ F org-
sort-list-by-checkbox-type.
3. Emacs goes into a tailspin (recovered by C-g).

> I would think that
>
>     checked - transitionary - unchecked - no box
>
> is a pretty decent default.

I disagree. I'd suggest unchecked - transitionary - checked - no box. It makes
more sense to pull the not-done items to the top, no?

But it's easy to modify the function for my environment. Thanks!!

hjh