Re: [O] Bug: with option hidestars to be hidden stars are on white backr

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: with option hidestars to be hidden stars are on white backround on block terminal [7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-882-gf47a71 @ /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:59:08 +0100

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 28.12.2012 14:36, schrieb Gregor Zattler:
>> I use option `hidestars' and Emacs/org-mode on a terminal with
>> black background.  Since a few days the superflous stars are not
>> hidden any more but shown on a white background.  This makes them
>> stand out very much.
>
> I don't see how this change is related since it changes the
> foreground, not the background.  What do the following things return
> if you eval them in the org buffer (with M-: since they are not
> interactive):

I noticed the same kind of problem (outside org-mode). It turns out
that the special color "unspecified-bg" [1] does not work as expected
when using it as the foreground color : the text is not made invisible
and the aforementioned behaviour occurs.

I guess that a workaround would be to test if "unspecified-bg" is
returned and use nil in that case (which is the old behaviour iiuc).

[1] unspecified-bg is the background value "if the terminal doesn't
allow to query its default colors" (quoted from
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/5823>)

--
N.