Re: [O] Bug: inline tasks behave strange with respect to visibility cycl

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: inline tasks behave strange with respect to visibility cycling within plain lists [7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-646-g664217 @ /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 11:06:44 +0100

Hi Gregor,

thanks for the detailed report.

Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) With respect to visibility cycling I would expect to see
>    inline tasks as normal text or plainlist item.  I would not
>    expect the display of children or subtrees to be cut of
>    immediately after an inline task.
>
>    This is my main concern.  (Hierarchical) plain lists are so
>    useful.  Tasks are useful.  One workaround to combine the
>    two would be to use headings instead of plain lists.  But this
>    looks terrible even with the `hidestars' option and and
>    especially in all kinds of exports.
>
> 2) I would not expect to see an error when doing org-cycle with
>    certain variable settings.  If org-mode is not able to handle
>    this situation it should tell so in a way the user is able to
>    act upon.

It might disappoint you, but by take on this is very simple: you
should not try to use inline tasks within plain lists.

I added this note in the comment header of org-inlinetask.el:

  ;; Note that you should not try to use inline tasks within plain list,
  ;; visibility cycling is known to be problematic when doing so.

If anyone is willing to support inline tasks within plain list,
please send a patch.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien