Re: [O] In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back

From: Simon Thum
Subject: Re: [O] In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:17:33 +0100

On 12/29/2012 11:29 AM, Bastien wrote:
Hi Simon,

(New thread for this topic.)

Simon Thum<address@hidden>  writes:

I'd also like to use this opportunity to ask about more graceful agenda
handling of changed files. When someone (not emacs) touches agenda files,
the agenda code fails horribly.   That is even if the file is readonly or has
the "#+READONLY" header (which seems menaingful only to org-mobile). It
would be preferable to just reload in this case. ATM, I am queried about
something related to reloading and the agenda cancels no matter what I
say.

I get the gist of what may happen here, but I'd need a reproducible
recipe to know where to put the checks.  Sorry to put the burden on
your shoulders, but this would help a lot!

It's not a burden at all. This recipe breaks for me:

1 ) invoke agenda

2) > touch some_agenda_file.org

3) invoke agenda again

I am asked: some_agenda_file.org changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)

No matter what I answer, the agenda does not show up. Using r, I can get the agenda in a repeat call.

My argument is that read-only buffers are not supposed to change on emacs' side, so it would always be OK to re-read them.

Cheers,

Simon