Re: [O] collaborating between org-mode and MS Word users

From: Tony Day
Subject: Re: [O] collaborating between org-mode and MS Word users
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:26:15 +1100

"Julian Burgos" <address@hidden> writes:

> - Is there a better way to have a non-org mode use to edit/correct a
> org-mode document and then bring back the corrections to an org-mode
> document?

If MS Word users can't tolerate plain text org-mode files then I can't
think of many shortcuts. This works well when bringing a docx back into
emacs:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.docx\\'" . docx2txt))

(defun docx2txt ()
  "Run docx2txt on the entire buffer."
  (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max) "docx2txt.pl" t t))
#+end_src

> - What is the best way to compare org-mode nodes/branches (like in the
> above example the Version 1 and Version 2 nodes?). Can I use ediff within
> an org-mode file? Or should I keep separate versions on separate
> documents?

ediff-regions-linewise might get the job done.  Within
that process, org-mark-subtree and C-u C-c C-w to quickly jump to the
relevant subtrees are great speed ups.

More generally, re-builder is a godsend for working out the regular back and
forth transformations you'll be doing.