Re: [O] Bug: org-agenda-get-todos: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marke

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-agenda-get-todos: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil [7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpa @ c:/users/--------/documents/store/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20121231/)]
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:48:35 -0500

Andrews, Kyle (KC) <address@hidden> wrote:

> When I try to rebuild the agenda buffer to display only TODO's with "1 r" I=
>  get the error:
>

> org-agenda-get-todos: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil
>

> And then the buffer is left blank.
>
> Here is the backtrace:
>

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)
>   goto-char(nil)
>   (if org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels (goto-char (match-end 2)) (org-end-of-=
> subtree (quote invisible)))
>   org-agenda-get-todos()
>   (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-todos))
>
> org-agenda-get-day-entries("c:/users/-------/documents/store/emacs/emacs.org"
> (1 3 2013) :todo)
>   (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-day-entries file date :todo))
>   org-todo-list(1)

org-agenda-get-todos loops trying to match the text in the file against a
regexp:

,----
|     (while (re-search-forward regexp nil t)
|       (catch :skip
|       (save-match-data
|          ...)
|       (goto-char (match-beginning 2))
|       (setq marker (org-agenda-new-marker (match-beginning 0))
|             category (org-get-category)
|             category-pos (get-text-property (point) 'org-category-position)
|             txt (org-trim
|                  (buffer-substring (match-beginning 2) (match-end 0)))
|             tags (org-get-tags-at (point))
|             level (make-string (org-reduced-level (org-outline-level)) ? )
|             txt (org-agenda-format-item "" txt level category tags t)
|             priority (1+ (org-get-priority txt))
|             todo-state (org-get-todo-state))
|       (org-add-props txt props
|         'org-marker marker 'org-hd-marker marker
|         'priority priority 'org-category category
|         'level level
|         'org-category-position category-pos
|         'type "todo" 'todo-state todo-state)
|       (push txt ee)
|       (if org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels
|           (goto-char (match-end 2))   <<<<<< fails here
|         (org-end-of-subtree 'invisible))))
`----

So the match was not able to provide a non-nil (match-end 2), probably
because of a headline missing some essential ingredient, perhaps,
maybe. Check the emacs.org file carefully. If you run it again, when it
bombs out, you can examine variables with ``e'' and perhaps get a better
idea of where the suspect headline might be.

Another way to debug it is to save a backup of your emacs.org file and
then systematically cut it down by keeping (roughly) the half that
produces the error until you've narrowed it down to the headline that
causes the error.

> Maybe it is related to this issue?
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-03/msg00310.html

I'd say probably not.