[O] repeated underscores and subscript woes

From: Nathaniel Cunningham
Subject: [O] repeated underscores and subscript woes
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:19:12 -0600

Hello,
I use org-mode (currently v7.9.3) to build materials for the courses I teach.  I tend to use repeated underscores to indicate a blank, e.g.:
1) Fill in the _______.

Unfortunately, org-mode treats these as successive subscript requests, and the text that follows is severely disrupted when exported via LaTeX.  The local or global setting of `org-export-with-sub-superscripts' does not seem to affect this behavior.

It seems appropriate that:
- no subscripting should occur in the above case when `org-export-with-sub-superscripts' is set to nil or {}; and
- repeated underscores without any braces should probably not ever trigger subscripting on export.

Thanks for all the continued work on org-mode!

--Nathaniel