Re: [O] BBDB(3) or org-contacts

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] BBDB(3) or org-contacts
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:12:12 -0500

Daniel Clemente <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> El Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:03:24 +0100 Gour va escriure:
> > of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
> > my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
> > really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
> > searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
> > message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."
> >

>   I use org-contacts with Wanderlust and I see it makes contact completion
> very slow (5 seconds for each keypress, and that's with only 200 contacts).
>   Therefore I use its infrastructre (because I like it) but I don't run its
> code. I'll explain myself:
>
>   I keep this structure in an .org file:
>
> ** John von Neumann
>                                                         :mathematic:
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :EMAIL:    address@hidden
>    :END:
> - some info
>

>   I use tags, I store e-mails, and I can write any infos, subsections,
> appointments, tasks, etc. which I want; even clock in.
>   If I want to search for a contact, I simply open that buffer and use C-s or
> do a tags search.
>   You can use org-capture to fill that file.
>

>   I strongly prefer this system over BBDB.

I use bbdb3 for my (admittedly, very simple) needs, but it can be
augmented with this kind of information fairly easily: "all problems in
computer science can be solved by another level of indirection" (Alan
Perlis).

Bind some key to org-open-at-point-global.  Add another field to the
bbdb entry with a link to get you to the org-contacts entry.  You can
even get a backlink to go from the org-contacts entry to the bbdb entry.

For example:

I have F7 bound to a sparse keymap for all things org, so I do

(define-key f7-keymap "o" 'org-open-at-point-global)

to bind org-open-at-point-global to "F7 o".

I add a "link" entry to the bbdb record:

,----
| Daniel Clemente
|                mail: address@hidden
|                link: [[file:~/lib/org/crm.org::Daniel Clemente]]
`----

I can then follow the link with ``F7 o'' - if the headline does not
exist, it creates it and then I can modify it to make into a bbdb link:

,----
| * [[bbdb:Daniel Clemente][Daniel Clemente]]
`----

making it easy to go back and forth.

HTH,
Nick