Re: [O] Rudel - Real-Time collaborative editing of Org-Mode files

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Rudel - Real-Time collaborative editing of Org-Mode files
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 09:47:41 -0500

Torben Hoffmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Not sure if it would be speedy enough, but gitit [...]

Thanks for the pointer! :-)

> Inventing a protocol to deal with synchronisation is not trivial, so a
> good starting point might be gitit or raw git with the intention of
> learning about what the real issues are before creating a system from
> scratch to solve what might not be the right problem to solve.

I tried to see a bit how to get hold on a synchronization protocol which
would be easy to use, and have been overwhelmed so far by the complexity
of the specifications, and also the implementations I quickly looked at.
I really want something simple enough for me to grasp (you know, I've
short limits!), and would be rather willing and ready to compromise on
the generality or speed, in the sake of simplicity.

So, inventing a protocol is still an avenue which I naively seek, and
for which I dared giving some thought recently, trying to stay on the
side of simplicity.

> I have not used org enough to be able to judge these issues, but I
> would like to have a good multi-user solution since org seems to be
> one of the better ways to collaborate.

Sigh!  Yes! :-)

François