Re: [O] managing a playlist

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] managing a playlist
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:27:02 +0100

Hi 42 (?)

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM, 42 147 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I appreciate the detailed reply, but org-tables is less tidy and browsable
> than my simple hierarchy of nested headings; unless I misunderstood your
> instructions.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I try to be more explicit. The table
within the block “columnview” has been generated automatically from
all the entries below “#+END” and was only to give a glimpse of how
column view looks like.

> I copy / pasted what you wrote (starting with #+BEGIN) and
> enabled interactive column view. But aside from a flashy change of colors
> and borders, I don't see an improvement in functionality. What other
> commands do you use in this mode when managing playlists? I could very well
> be missing something here.

For the column view only the lines below “file content:” are
mandatory. With point on the first line, C-c C-x C-c activates the
column view which _adds an overlay to the headings with the values
from some properties_, here mainly the album information for the
songs. Do a few cycles with S-TAB repeated to get a very first
impression. There is much more like editing properties, calculation
etc., see:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Column-view
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/5107/focus=5134
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-column-view-tutorial.html