Re: [O] OT: Learning ELISP

From: Jonathan Arkell
Subject: Re: [O] OT: Learning ELISP
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:56:22 +0000

I am a huge advocate of using org files and literate programming in your
config files.

A few reasons why:
  - Makes it easy to logically group sections of your init and
configuration
  - Agenda tags search on your initialization file?  Yes please!
Extremely useful for those "cross-cutting" bits.  I have tags like
"keybinding", "osx" and "linux", and working on others as appropriate.
  - Add TODOs to your init file.

Here is my example, but I stand on the shoulders of giants:

https://github.com/jonnay/emagicians-starter-kit

__________________________________

Jonathan Arkell
Sr. Developer
Inspired By Drum & Bass, Scheme, Kawaii

p. 403.206.4377
1011 9th Ave SE, Suite 300

Calgary, AB, Canada T2G 0Y4

address@hidden
criticalmass.com

On 21/01/13 4:39 AM, "Karl Voit" <address@hidden> wrote:

>* Memnon Anon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Two days later, no reply so far. I'll give it a shot.
>> Karl, if you are still fiddling to make it work, ignore this posting
>> and keep trying. :)
>
>Well, the hook in combination with the ARCHIVE tag did resolve my
>current issue quite nicely. However, I follow ELISP lessons with
>great pleasure independent of my current issues :-) But thanks to my
>time budget, it's low priority for now. :-(
>
>I did accomplish some advancement in the last weeks. I could fix
>some if/when issues in my configuration and I do get the feeling
>that meanwhile, I am able to judge the quality or the side-effects
>of ELISP snippets I copy/copied from other people. Even this limited
>knowledge gives me way more power over my Emacs than before.
>
>The core of ELISP is not that huge at all. So far, I tend to think
>that one key aspect of programming in ELISP is knowing, what
>functions are out there, waiting to be used to accomplish a task.
>And learning/finding all these handy functions is not trivial to me.
>Especially in such a huge project like Org-mode.
>

>Even more off-topic: I cleaned out some very old things and
>summarized my Emacs config in (currently) two files.[1] And I am
>thinking of moving it to Emacs initialization with babel[2] but so
>far, I am not sure, if there are that many advantages over the
>current situation.
>
>  1. https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs
>  2.
>http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#literate-programming
>--
>Karl Voit

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be
read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and delete or destroy any copy of this message.