Re: [O] heads up: mode hooks not executed for agenda files

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] heads up: mode hooks not executed for agenda files
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:25:18 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> a problem I have had for a long time is that agenda files are opened
> without =org-mode-hook= and =text-mode-hook= being processed.  This is a
> problem because I work within the agenda view all the time, writing notes
> by accessing entries from the agenda view.
>
> If I open an org file directly, both hooks are executed just fine.

Because your are opening the org file for the first time, so org-mode
and text-mode are run along with the associated hooks.

> However, if I hit =RET= on an agenda view line, I get put into the org
> file, at the correct point, but without those hooks having been executed.
> This means that the behaviour is different depending on how I ended up in
> the org file.

Because the files are already opened (check this with C-x C-b) so
org-mode and text-mode are not run.

> This is confusing!
>
> The solution is to add the same processing to =org-agenda-after-show-hook=
> as is included in =text-mode=hook= and =org-mode=hook=.  This works.
> However, it seems clumsy to me.

This is the way to go.  The idea is to have different hooks
when *opening* an org-mode file, and when *visiting* an entry
from the agenda, in a file that is already opened in Emacs.

> Bastien: enjoy your two week break and don't you dare read this email
> before then! ;-)

:)

Thanks,

--