Re: [O] How to improve Org startup time?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] How to improve Org startup time?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:06:42 +0100

HI Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> In particular, you'll see that *16 seconds* are "lost" between 21:20:30 and
> 21:20:46. They correspond to the executiong of just *one line*:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (org-agenda-to-appt)
> #+end_src
>
> This may have something to do with my big amount of Org files in
> `org-agenda-files': 36 at this point. But is that so big??

There are basically two factors that can slow down the agenda
generation: the number of agenda files, the number of entries
to check in all agenda files.

Can you compare the time spent by the initialization process
before and after commit 582cca5806 ?

It should improve things sensibly, I'd be curious to know
why it does not improve anything -- if that's the case.

Also, do you have any hooks in org-mode-hook?

Finally, org-agenda-to-appt is very slow by default, it
uses org-agenda-get-day-entries and check every entry...
see the docstring on how to make it check only the ones
you really need.

HTH!

--
 Bastien