Re: [O] Seeking advice for conditional code

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Seeking advice for conditional code
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:25:58 -0500

"Sebastien Vauban"

> For curiosity, why aren't you considering tangling?

Quick half of a reply, I'll revise the rest of your message later.

That would be far too much of a change for the habits of the team, or at
least, this is how I perceive the equilibrium between developers.
Moreover, some of us are not even Emacs users.

When writing a program, the feeling still has to be that we write a
program, rather than a document describing the program, and from which
the program could be extracted.  Python is rather descriptive as a
language, and while comments are useful, they might be less needed than
in other languages.  This is debatable, of course :-).

The documentation is meant for users, and it was strongly suggested that
we try to keep the documentation within the program as much as possible,
as a way to ease keeping the documentation and the program in good
sync.  Some of us really enjoy Org mode, and this is how came the idea
of this compromise of writing Python doc-strings using Org.

François