Re: [O] internal links not being followed; instead, offer to create new

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] internal links not being followed; instead, offer to create new heading
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:21:51 -0600

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Brian van den Broek
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble with following internal org links. After carefully
> reading the documentation (especially 4.2 Internal Links
> <http://orgmode.org/org.html#Internal-links>) with the following
> test.org file, I would expect that C-c C-o on the link text in the bar
> tree would jump to the corresponding text in the foo tree.

I'd never heard of being able to do this, so I read the documentation
as well and this how I parsed it:

- Is link text a URL?
  - If yes -> open url
  - If no, check current file

- Is link text a custom ID?
  - If yes -> go to headline with matching ID
  - If no, check for custom target

- Is there a match between [[link text]] and an occurrence of <<link
text>> (dedicated target)?
  - If yes -> go to the dedicated target location
  - If no, check file type

- Is this a .org file?
  - If yes, check for a *headline* (or possibly keywords/tags)
matching the [[link text]] [1]
  - If no, conduct a string search for the [[link text]]

[1] Quote: "If no dedicated target exists, Org will search for a
headline that is exactly the link text but may also include a TODO
keyword and tags"

So, let's test this out...

I created test.org with your contents and can verify that C-c C-o asks
if I should create a new headline. I also created test.txt with the
same contents, did =M-x org-mode= and tried the same and got the same
results. So, either:

1) The documentation is incorrect (maybe), or
2) I don't know how to do C-c C-o provided by Org in a non-org file
correctly (more probable)

Scratch that... tried again and left Emacs in text mode (default for
me when opening .txt) and manually did =M-x org-open-at-point= and the
cursor moves to the first "s" in "string to search."

So, the documentation, at least from my read, does seem to describe
the situation accurately.

Best regards,
John