Re: [O] Align argument in #+attr_latex for tabular env. is whitespace se

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Align argument in #+attr_latex for tabular env. is whitespace sensitive
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:40:10 -0600

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Was not getting the results I expected from #+attr_latex, so I created
>> a simplified table to test:
>>
>> #+begin_src org
>>
>> Centered (will be sent to LaTeX as =\begin{tabular}{cc}=:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: align=cc
>> | test           | test |
>> | test of longer | test |
>>
>> Left aligned (will be sent to LaTeX as =\begin{tabular}{ll}=:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: align = cc
>> | test           | test |
>> | test of longer | test |
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> If there's reason for this, I can change my habits. I guess from
>> various tidy programming habits, I'm just in the practice of
>> separating equal signs with surrounding white space for easier
>> readability. For what it's worth, these two behave identically:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: width=5cm
>> #+attr_latex: width = 5cm
>>
>> I'm not sure why the tabular align argument is behaving differently.
>
> This syntax is wrong anyway. It should be:
>
>   #+attr_latex: :width "5cm"
>
> or
>
>   #+attr_latex: :width 5cm
>
> The same goes for :align. Also, for simple alignment strings, you can
> provide align cookies within the table.

Ah. Very good to know. Is this documented? This is the syntax I use
for babel blocks, but I've never seen it for #+attr_latex. The manual
also doesn't show any =:option "value"= methods, at least in my
initial peruse:
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-LaTeX-export.html
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-LaTeX-export.html#Images-in-LaTeX-export

It's all in `option=value` format.

Is your syntax (including the comment about cookies, as I haven't seen
that in the org manual either) relevant for the old exporter, or only
the new one? As I said, this is using the old exporter and I haven't
migrated over yet...

Thanks for the prompt response!
John