[O] emacs and orgmode implemented at beta.metaStudio.org

From: Nagarjuna G.
Subject: [O] emacs and orgmode implemented at beta.metaStudio.org
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:41:44 +0530

There are already quite a few implementations that have taken orgmode to the online editing of wikis, blogs etc.  We did one more addition.

I am happy to inform you that we have implemented a collaboratively editable wiki pages using a simple _javascript_ editor based on Jay Salvat's MarkItUp. (http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/).  We forked it to create orgitdown (https://github.com/gnowgi/orgitdown).  the simple configurable framework by MarkItUP helped us to define keyboard shortcuts.  Though a lot more work needs to be done to make it full orgmode on the web, we are already happy to see its effect.  Students and teachers who are never exposed to online editing of wikis and blogs, could learn the simple orgitdown editor with very little training.  We had no problem even in producing Hindi language wikis using this process.

We process the text saved by orgitdown on the server using emacs and orgmode macros in the batchmode.  the generated html file as well as the original org text get saved in the database.  Versioning feature is implemented using django-reversion.

Apart from the wiki pages, we also use it in a threaded discussion forum of the beta.metaStudio.org.  This helps users to use structured markup, LaTeX use, embedding videos and other java applets etc.   Some links to the pages below.

Once again thanks for a great app.

A demo page with equations: http://beta.metastudio.org/gstudio/page/gnowsys-page/1307/

A hindi page: http://beta.metastudio.org/gstudio/page/gnowsys-page/3471/

A wikpage with embedded video: http://beta.metastudio.org/gstudio/page/gnowsys-page/3344/

If any of you are interested in the orgitdown code, please wait till we do the code merging on the github repo of orgitdown.  Else the current code is pushed at the metaStudio's code at https://github.com/gnowgi/gnowsys-studio

--
Nagarjuna G.
http://beta.metaStudio.org/