[O] Correct / best way of loading packages in contrib when using org com

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: [O] Correct / best way of loading packages in contrib when using org compiled from git?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:56:01 +0100

Hi

I am using org-mode from git and compile it.

I would like to use the org-notmuch module in the contrib directory, and I
activate it using:

 (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
 (require 'org-notmuch)

But, as Suvayo pointed out to me, in default.mk it says:

# Define if you want to include some (or all) files from contrib/lisp
# just the filename please (no path prefix, no .el suffix), maybe with globbing
#ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-e-* org-md org-export # e.g. the new exporter

So I would have to add

ORG_ADD_CONTRIB = org-notmuch

to the local.mk file

Nevertheless, I would like to stick with a configutration which uses the normal
compiled version
and all configurations are in one file (emacs.org), so I would prefer the
require... approach.

But I would like to have some clarification, what the differences are between
the two approaches
and if (and if yes, why) it would be advisable to use the second approach.

Thanks  lot,

Rainer

PS: I update my git almost daily via the following script:

#############################3
#!/bin/sh
cd ~/.emacs.d/org-mode-git/org-mode

git checkout master